Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be delighted with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by fancy advertisements about a specific laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, find another one.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the risk of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is this content more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of countless people around the world.